|“|| We're magic! Ooh! Magic! Ooh!
(from Fairly Odd Parents Debut)
Hundreds of milleniums ago, the fairies have fought a long war against the darkness. They were able to subdue the darkness temporarily, becoming stars in the heavens in the process, until a chosen one could come along and defeat the darkness. Fairies since then have used their magic to help sad human children on Earth. These fairy godparents maintain a strict policy of secrecy, if any godchild reveals the existence of their fairy or any other fairy, they will lose their fairy and anyone in the vicinity will have their memories wiped, including the godchild forever. These rules are enforced by Jorgen and the Fairy Council, who act as the de facto leaders of the fairies.
Most fairies follow the same basic anatomy: They have small bodies, about the size of a human child. But there are also several fairies who are human-sized or even bigger, such as the Tooth Fairy, the Amazonian Fairies, or the Ancient Fairy Warriors like Jorgen Von Strangle. They have a pair of insect like wings, and yellow crowns that float an inch or two above their heads. They typically carry magic wands that are shaped like black sticks with a yellow star at the end. Fairies are almost always seen floating, the exception to this is Jorgen, who has a jet pack instead of wings, and is usually standing on the ground.
Fairies are immortal, able to live forever, and although they age and mature just like humans do, it takes them much longer to get through adulthood than a human. Cosmo and Wanda have looked more or less the same for over 10,000 years, usually only changing their style of clothing and hair to the style appropriate of the time frame and or location. Fairies can be killed by violent acts, and they can catch certain magical diseases such as magic back-up, the fairy flu and chicken poofs, though these diseases are not fatal to the fairy, they can still be dangerous to the fairy and those around them.
Being able to use magic gives the fairies a number of powers and abilities.
- They can grant wishes within the limits of Da Rules. Ranging from the smallest of tasks such as moving things like telekinesis to world wide reality changes.
- They can fly/float.
- They can shapeshift or simply disguise.
- They are immortal, live forever, and are able to survive things that would kill most humans.
- They can teleport (sometimes this ability is called Poof!) themself or a object nearly every place they want and some cases thay can use this ability when they don't have any magical powers (like in Fairly Odd Parents: Shadow Showdown, when the Royal Jewel been stolen make The Big Wand somehow can't able to make magic to fairies but Cosmo, Wanda can poof Timmy and themself to Fairy World, Jorgen just like them can poof him and a magic oven in final boss)
- They can also use their magic to heal their wounds and the wounds of others, such as their godchildren.
Fairies do not generate magic themselves. Fairy wands act as receivers to 'The Big Wand', a large tower which draws on the human belief in fairies and converts it into magic which then sends it out to the wands and everything else which requires power in Fairy World as well as the fairies ability to fly. For a number of years all of Fairy World's magic came from Denzel Crocker, but has since then expanded to every Crocker-like people on Earth. Should The Big Wand be shut down, fairies will have whatever charge is left on their wand to use, until The Big Wand powers up again and they can recharge their wands.
List of fairies in random order
- Big Daddy
- Mama Cosma
- Binky's Mom
- Poof Cosma
- Goldie Goldenglow
- Fairy Council
- Tooth Fairy
- The First Reassigning Fairy
- The Second Reassigning Fairy
- The Third Reassigning Fairy
- Poof Everwish
- Rip Studwell
- Nana Cadabra
- Grandpa Gonzo
- The April Fool
- The Sandman (Matress King)
- Ancient Fairy Warriors
- Fairy Hart
- Fairy Mason
- Wanda's Uncles
- Cousin Guido
- Amazonian Fairies
- Papa Cosmo
- Wanda's Mother
- Fairy Jr.
- Timmy Turner (temporarily in A Mile in My Shoes)